Where in the World is..

7th September 2010 at 11:31 am

Carmen Sandiego?

Dear Chibi,
Last night I had a sudden flashback to my early High School days, where I’d visit the school library and book a computer just to play “Carmen Sandiego”. It was a fun game and since it was considered educational I could actually get away with playing games in the library and not look like I was “wasting resources” :p

I could vividly remember the visuals and the interface, where I’d watch people walk around mindlessly, and dropping me clues. “What can I do for you?” They’d ask. Then there’s that 3D looking globe spinning and the music playing as you fly from Sydney to Paris. I brought this up to Jacky but he has never heard of it, so I excitedly did a search on youtube  to see if I could find something to show :D

..But then all I found was this:

D=  This didn’t match up with the brilliant and fond memories I had of this game. What had gone wrong? Is this simply not the version I played?  I knew of this game during primary school, so it must have been pre 1998.. What version did I play?. I kept searching and searching, only if just to  find a screenshot of what I had remembered in my head, but no luck.

I was prepared to see something probably less pretty now (since this was over 10 years ago)- but this feels just way too different from my head.

Has anyone else played this game and know what I’m talking about? =p

11 Responses to “Where in the World is..”

1. Shouri says:

Ah, I remember playing WICS on my uncle’s computer before we had one of our own :D I don’t know what version you’re talking about tho, the one I played looked like this: http://www.kabytes.com/maquina-del-tiempo/maquina-del-tiempo-%C2%BFdonde-esta-carmen-sandiego/attachment/carmen16/ (and it was hillarious that it had our city and that THAT was the illustration for it)

2. Brad says:

The version I played had actual video footage of the head of the FBI or something giving me the mission and the character was fun animation of what I think inspired the female character in the cartoon series. LOVED playing it more than my little brother. :) Want to buy it now!

• Chibi says:

haha I don’t think I even got close to finding Carmen.. I think I only got 3 ranks up from the bottom but I forgot how many other levels there were. And yup, I’m pretty sure Carmen was the same cartoon figure but I don’t remember the FBI dude, lol.

I wonder if we played the same version?
      So awesome that people know what I’m talking about, lol

3. Jacky says:

Hope you find something, i wanna see your fond memories!

I remember there was this awsome spelling game i played in primary school as well. You verse these nerds and a robot and they will randomly mispell a word. dont remember the name of the game but ~~”

• Chibi says:

That video was embarrassing :p I hope I can find the real one someday! Youtube is supposed to have everything tho!

No idea about the misspelling word game, ahha..versing nerds 8D

4. feedthe1337 says:

I’ve never played this game, but I really want to now. It looks like it’s better than Starcraft 2 ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \(*O*)/

5. Kaz says:

no wayyyyyyy!!! That can’t possibly be the clip!! -.- I don’t recall it at all! Esp with that Gorilla and all…

Where’s the actual game where you scan across the screen and you click on people and you ask them questions etc.. There MUST be a lot of other versions…