The future of MoonSticks

Dear Chibi,

I haven’t been very inspired lately. I hope it’s just one of the phases that’ll come and go but so far I don’t think I’m free from it yet. I’ve also been in a bit of a dilemma and trying to figure out what it is that I really want to do. I’m starting to realise something I’d hate to admit, but sometimes it’s just hard keeping it in.

I’ve been thinking about the future of MoonSticks, my weekly Sailor Moon comic strips. I don’t talk about it much on my blog, but I spend a lot of time and effort on the website and on every comic. I love to do it because it makes me happy and knowing others are enjoying them as much as I do gives me a lot of satisfaction.

Usually every few months or so I go on a little break from it to have a bit of a breather, but lately I’m just really tired. I don’t feel like making comics anymore. Am I being selfish? I feel horrible for thinking this because I know  people enjoy them, who follow week after week anticipating for the next. Every comment and message left for me makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside. I really do appreciate everything fans have given me, and this includes a sense of achievement and belonging. I’ve also met some really wonderful people who are always encouraging and supportive. If I suddenly stopped making comic strips, it would feel like I’ve betrayed them.

I guess it’s hard because I never thought MoonSticks would turn out this popular. When I created MoonSticks a year ago, it was like a silly random idea that came out of no-where and I didn’t know where this was heading, or how long it would last. I didn’t even ask these questions, but now I’m always fearing the day when MoonSticks “ends”. I’m so torn between doing it for the fans, or doing it for myself. I used to laugh at every comic, but lately I can’t even make myself laugh. It’s sad to think that one day MoonSticks will probably lose everything it has gained, but that’s part of life I guess? I still love Sailor Moon very much and I do love MoonSticks- I just don’t know how much longer it can go…

Or maybe I’m making too much of a deal out of this. I don’t know. I don’t know what to do yet I don’t want other people telling me what to do. If people say they want me to continue, I’m worried I’ll fail and disappoint them. If people say I should stop, I don’t know if I can really let go.

DILEMMA.

Comment it , or trackback this post.

18 Responses to “The future of MoonSticks”

1. Brad says:

We all get in ruts. I say don’t make it “weekly” and just update it with a new strip when you feel inspired. Might be months between strips but it could also mean we get a few grouped together.

Take some of the pressure off and I’m sure inspiration will come.

• Joshua says:

I agree. Sometimes you need the muse to come and smack you upside the head. Update MS when you have a laugh.

2. CyCyN says:

I know EXACTLY what you’re going through as the same has happened with me with the SMObss and sadly, with my fan art too. It becomes more of an obligation than fun and it totally kills it. I won’t tell you what to do, just let it rest, if inspiration comes back and you feel like producing something, it’ll be an act of love, if it doesn’t, then it won’t be an obligation. Whatever the outcome, we still love you. :3

3. IttyFox6 says:

I follow a webcomic that only updates on the last day of every month. Sometimes only 2 comics are posted but sometimes there are 5 or 6. You might try something like that so you don’t get too burned out or stressed about meeting the weekly deadline. ^^ <3

4. Waterkeeper511 says:

I love MoonSticks and I always check out your comic strip, but it’s understandable that you’d get tired. You’re human, after all! =) I agree with Brad. Just update it when you feel like updating it. Quality over quantity. Just know that it’s definitely appreciated.

5. Melissa says:

Enjoy the ride! It seems as though you are changing. Take it easy and enjoy this new direction you are heading. You might come up with another new idea, or discover something else. MoonSticks will always be here. :3

6. Lady Jupiter says:

Perhaps, you could get some inspiration from the fans? I know over the years, that I’ve been watching Sailor Moon, I will occasionally see something in the show or think of some random silliness of “What if”
    They could post them to the site and you can perhaps find inspiration in that.
    But if that fails, It has been a wonderful ride and I know I’ve gotten more than good chuckle out of many of your comics.

7. I agree with everyone else here, if you can’t meet a deadline, then don’t meet it. I used to always think “I want to write fanfiction!” and whenever I think of something, I either aren’t inspired enough to write it, or just lose the feeling. Maybe you could set up a little “Idea Booth” or whatever you would call it, where people could give you some ideas. Sometimes when you’re out of the game, there’s no way to get back in but forcing yourself. Then again, it’s not good to do that either. So, instead of me typing a giant comment, I’m gonna say:

TAKE. YOUR. TIME.

and shut up before I contradict myself again. ^_^

8. Raymond says:

If you become stuck, you’re always welcome to take a ray life story, and try turn into inspiration!
    Keep up the GREAT work!

9. Sailor Mary says:

I think you should do whats better for you! I very love moonsticks its so funny!:) but if you think its good for you take a break take it! Just update it when you feel like updating it. but dont forget that we all love what you do and i think you are doing a great job no mater what! :D take your time and relax!:)

10. Malavika says:

This is the dilemma for everyone in creative fields. As a writer I’ve experienced it so many times! But I’d say that in all things creative, the minute the creator is not enjoying the creating, it’ll show in the creation. So your enjoyment and satisfaction comes first.

Take a break. Then, see if inspiration returns.

11. Chibi says:

Thanks so much everyone. Really appreciate it :) You guys helped me come to a conclusion, and I think it’s the right decision.

12. Rexic says:

take all the time you need.and maybe when you get some ideas,make them and keep them safe so there can still be reserve strips when you cant think of any.also possibly,watch the Sailor Moon Abridged series on youtube.it is very funny and it might give you some ideas.all the best.

13. Kuro-Usagi Tsukino says:

I had an idea for another manga you could make. I posted the idea on your manga, A Perfect Disguise. Hope it gives you some inspiration!

14. Arlein says:

You can start a group with other artists that can add to the MoonSticks comics. You don’t have to do all the work. ^__^

15. Usagisan says:

Thank you for letting me “devour” your comic strips (all in one go).

You have no idea how cheerful you’ve made me this year. It kind of makes me want to draw again (I haven’t held a colored pencil in years).

Thank you, thank you!!

• Chibi says:

aww.. That’s so sweet of you. Thank you Usagisan, for taking time to leave such a nice message <3 Please do share your drawings with me when you do draw again :)

Post a Comment!

XHTML: You can use these tags: